Welcome to the SA Maritime School and Transport College
The SA Maritime School and Transport College (SAMS) was established in 1986 and is managed by a Board of Trustees.
SAMS is a fully accredited institute that holds accreditation status with the following institutions:
- Transport Education Training Authority (TETA)
- South African Sailing (SAS)
- and the Department of Education (DOE).
All employees, facilitators and assessors are equipped with the appropriate experience and certification as required by the regulating institutions.
Lectures are conducted at our campus which boasts a bird’s eye view of vessels entering and leaving the Port of Durban. The school is situated in the
vicinity of the Point Waterfront, 500m from Ushaka Marine World in KwaZulu - Natal. In March 2012 we opened offices in Gauteng located in Braamfontein.
SAMS specialises in the following programs, offered either as full or part time:
- Freight Handling (Warehousing and Distribution) - SAQA ID 57831 – NQF Level 03
- Shipping Practice (Ships Operations and Agencies) - SAQA ID 49155 – NQF Level 04
- Certificate in International Trade and Transport - SAQA ID 59326 – NQF Level 02
- Customs Compliance and Freight Forwarding SAQA ID 59365 – NQF Level 03
- Diploma in Freight Logistics - SAQA ID 58473 - NQF Level 05
- Sailing – day and coastal skipper / yacht hand - Accredited by SAS
NQF Level 01/02: General Education and Training Certificate and
successful Grade 9
NQF Level 03: Grade 10
NQF Level 04: Grade 12 plus 1 year successful qualification in
NQF Level 05: NQF04 and permanently employed within the shipping
SAMS was founded in 1986 by Commander PJK Fitt, a Master Mariner with a significant experience in the maritime training industry. SAMS initially
occupied premises in the Maydon Wharf area in the proximity to the legendary “Maydon Wharf Tea Room”, where many a freight professional of today
attended classes in Cargo Handling, Logistics and Shipping Practice... read more